Ilha do Mel is paradise on earth for many people: no roads, no cars; only sandy trails linking beaches and small villages.
You will find wonderful beaches and it is well known for the best surf areas in Paraná.
This cave is located in Encantadas, in the south of Ilha do Mel. The cave is a place of legends;
it is told that beautiful mermaids lure men to the cave and that they never return home.
This is the only fortress on the Paraná’s coast and it was built between 1767 and 1769 by the Portuguese to protect the Paranaguá Bay. However, the fortress was only used once in 1850. An English boat, the Cormorant, took three Brazilian boats prisoner with slaves;
the local population from Paranaguá insisted that the captain in charge of the fortress should react. Some canon shots were fired and the Cormorant stayed in Paranaguá for several months being repaired before returning to England.
The lighthouse was built 1872, as an order of the King Dom Pedro II, and it was brought from England to Ilha do Mel.
© Copyright 2018 Steve Bryant